THE CYLONIX 18 CHANNEL VOCODER FOR Windows
Version 2 is Here!
NOTE: This program is no longer being supported. This page is mainly for historical interest. Don't send
us any email about running the program.
Now, you too can sound like the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica, and make
music as cool as Kraftwerk (well, that part's up to you...) with the new
18 Channel Vocoder program from CYLONIX. This Windows 95 program is a digital
emulation of the great analog filter bank vocoders of days gone by.
It uses the computational power of Intel Pentium CPUs along with the audio
interface capabilities of Creative Labs SoundBlaster boards to bring
the joy of vocoding to the masses.
As seen in the January 1998 issue of Future Music Magazine, and the
September 1998 issue of Keyboard Magazine!
Features of the CYLONIX 18 Channel Vocoder Program
New in Version 2.0:
- 18 Filter Channels
- Level and Pan Control For Each Channel
- Internal Pulse, Chord, and Noise Generators
- External Input Capability
- Graphical Display of Spectrum Energy
- Spectral Shifting
- Spectral Randomization
- Spectral Inversion
- Graphical Control of Spectrum Mapping
- 18 Channel Graphic Equalizer Mode
- Spectrum Sample and Hold
- Spectrum Hold Mode
- Voiced/Unvoiced Detection
- Sibilance Feedthrough
- Pitch Tracker
- 3 Filter Bandwidth Settings
- Recording and Saving of Output (wav fmt)
- Use of WAV File Sounds as Vocoder Input
- Spectrum Enhancement and Smoothing
- Individual Channel Distortion
- Individual Channel Delay
- Individual Channel Echo
- Individual Channel Expansion/Compression
- Individual Channel Slew Rate Control
- MIDI Controller Support
- MIDI Control of Pulse Frequency
- Pulse Width Control
- Slaving of Sliders to a Single Slider
Sample Vocoder Outputs
Here are various wav files demonstrating some of the great
sounds that the CYLONIX vocoder can create:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Program Requirements
In order to run the CYLONIX vocoder program you need:
You should have the most recent sound card drivers. These can be obtained
from Creative Labs via ftp at
- Pentium Computer (P120 or up)
- Windows 95
- SoundBlaster (preferably with Full Duplex drivers installed (other
types of sound cards may work, as well))
- Microphone (recommended!)
Older drivers are likely to cause the program to lock up on occasion.
Please note: If you have a Cyrix CPU chances are the program will not function
properly. It is my belief that this is due to the Cyrix Floating Point
Processor unit not having the performance neccessary for the vocoder
program, which uses floating points operations heavily.
The CYLONIX logo, the CYLONIX vocoder program, and this web page are copyright James J. Clark, 1997, 1998
This site has been visited times.